Live Today – Put it Away!
A Suicide prevention Project:
Wisconsin’s Gun Shop Project & Safe Storage Program
Gun Shop Project & Safe Storage Program
Live Today – Put it Away is designed to assist gun shops in working with the gun owner community to provide 2 levels of support to help address firearm suicides:
1) Firearm suicide prevention safety information: Gun shops are providing materials to their customers and staff about Suicide Prevention and responsible firearm ownership developed by national organizations (National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), American Foundation on Suicide Prevention, and the VA). Contact us at CaptainJohnDMasonProgram@mcw.edu if you would like a packet of free materials from the NSSF. Also check out our page that includes additional materials on similar programs.
2) Firearm storage outside of the home: Live today – Put it Away! The gun shops on the map provide customers firearm storage for a low fee. This service has been developed to assist individuals that are in a crisis to voluntarily store their firearms outside of the home.
Message to Gun Shops: We need your help! Please sign up, so your establishment can be placed on the map, so that individuals, mental health providers, family, and friends will see that you are part of a suicide prevention solution. Once you sign the agreement someone will contact you within 48 hours to place your establishment on the map.
Learn more about the program by watching the Video by Susan Smykal (Program Coordinator) talking about the program.
Information for Gun Shops about the Gun Storage program
Download our Gun Shop Project Introduction Packet Here: Gun Shop Project Introduction Packet
- Firearms Dealer Introduction Letter
- Tips for WI Firearm Retailers and Range Owners 3.4.21
- Safe Storage Pamphlet 8.5×5.5
- Gun Safety the 11th Commandment
- Gun Shop Project Inception and Q&A
- Contract to Hold Firearm 3.5.21
- R.A.C.E. Suicide Prevention Brochure Veteran
Again you can participate in the program by:
- Signing up: On-line
- or Print this form and mail it to us.
- Provide us your thoughts by answering our satisfaction survey.
The Origins of the Gun Shop Project
A brief look at the origins of the gun shop project: Check out the CNN story or the story below.
Wisconsin Firearm Safe Storage Facilities
Instructions for anyone using the storage map:
The firearm facilities noted on the map in PURPLE are voluntarily providing storage of firearms outside of your home as a way to help prevent suicide.
- Please call and check whether the facility is providing the gun storage service prior to going to or referring someone in crisis to a firearm store (Any retailer can refuse to provide the service).
- Be sure that you have the firearm(s) unloaded, when you take them in.
The following map is shows participating Firearm Retailers/Ranges in Wisconsin.
The following map shows participating Law Enforcement Departments.
The following police/sheriff departments noted on the map in BLUE are part of Voluntary Firearm Safekeeping Program and voluntarily provide this service to the community. Be sure that you have the firearm(s) unloaded when you take them in. See below the map for additional information for each Law Enforcement Location.
- City of Delafield Police Department: Calling ahead to schedule a drop-off is preferred, but not necessary. Call (262) 646-6240. Safe Storage contract
- Columbia County Sheriff’s Department: Please call 608-742-4166, press 1 to reach our communications center 24/7. Setting up an appointment is ideal, but not necessary. We will not be taking ammunition. Safe Storage Contract for Columbia Co
The information contained here is not intended to be nor is it a substitute for professional medical or legal advice. The contents of this website should not be construed as or solely relied upon for medical or legal advice. The information presented on this website may not reflect the most current legal developments. Always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider with any questions about medical conditions, and always seek the advice of an attorney with any question about legal issues.